Thursday, December 10, 2009

Homemade Christmas decorations

Here are some other random Christmas decoration items that are helping make our house feel cozy this Winter. (I'm declaring it winter- We are wearing winter coats and hats and gloves= winter)

My father in law helped me cut this guy out several years ago. I just love him and look forward to hanging him each year. He is cut from scrap wood about 3/4 inch thick. Little branch arms stick in the sides. I painted him up and then roughed him up. He gets to hang on our walls until February each year.


This wreath is all over the blogsphere right now. This bulb ornament is made by stringing bulb ornaments on a wire hanger. Mine didn't turn out as cute as some I've seen, but by hanging it on this mirror, I think it helps fill it out and make the crooked shape a little less noticeable. I think I first saw it on Nannygoat.


Here is our advent calendar. We turn over the ornament each day until the whole tree is decorated. I made it my freshman year in college, while living in the dorms. My friends teased me pretty good for my holiday sewing that year. I made a matching tree skirt, stockings, and ornaments for our mini tree. My roommate and I were best friends in high school and we were both engaged when we went off to college. Although she was much cooler than me, we got to be nerdy together.


Here is another wanna be project from nannygoat. It was much harder than it looked and I only ended up with one ornament, and two other pieces (below). Bee asked for a necklace with the cats' names on it- Ellis & Chloe. The metal stamping kit came from Harbor Freights for only $5. The washers were cheap (I noticed a BUNCH in my grandpa's workshop that I may have to borrow from if I want to make more of these another time.)



I see now, that nannygoat darkened her letter some how. I bet that would make these look even better. hmmmm... Speaking of cats.... can you spot the cat in this picture? Merry first Christmas Chloe.

6 comments:

grandma said...

I think the oranments on the mirror look great. I finally have my things up the stairs and in the kitchen. Hope to get things done this weekend. I've been baking cookies and a did a cherry swirl coffeecake yesterday. My freezer is getting very full. I'm making Chocolate Hot Sauce for two neighbors next week.

Our Crazy Family said...

I love reading your blog. You have such creative ideas. As for the washers I bet if you inked your letters before pressing them into the metal you would get a darker letter. Good luck. Keep up the creativity. I have several things that I want to try but haven't gotten to yet. Hopefully soon :)

Bran said...

I LOVE the ornament hanger! It's just so pretty.

Jennifer Juniper said...

Yay! Love the ornament wreath, and the mirror behind it makes it look extra big!

Becca's Dirt said...

I like that you hung in a mirror. Gives a different look.

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Looks great! love the wreath!