Tuesday, April 20, 2010

pot holders and aprons and other non domestic stuff

I had the best friends in college! My roommate was my best friend from high school. When we got our room assignments that we were in the honors dorm we were pretty upset (I was not in the honors college but my room mate was- lets get that straight). We were sure to be surrounded by dorks. We both even called housing and begged to be changed. We could not have been more wrong. We met the best people ever. There were about 8 of us who ran around together. Hubby tagged along a lot too! That's been more years ago now than it seems like it should have been and they are still great girls. We are spread out now, several out of state. There are a few added hubbys and a bunch of kids now. This weekend as many of us who could got together for a bridal shower (and bachelorette party!) for one of the gals. I was floored when I went to pick up a gift from the registry and there were no cooking items. That's what I like to buy. She did have kitchen towels on the list so I grabbed those. She's not the most domestic gal, but I was saddened by the lack of kitchen items. I decided to make some up of my own.

After a little sewing consultation with my craft neighbors, I went with an apron and pot holders. These apron pockets turned out looking a lot like the ones from this skirt. There was much discussion about finishing up the edges since I made it one layer thick. I ended up using a piece of twill or ribbonish stuff that actually wrapped up the kitchen towels that I bought myself the same day. Shhh.... They are the same towels we already have, hubby will never know.

These pot holders were super easy. They whipped up in no time. I took a bunch of pictures along the way. I could get a tutorial together.

Here are the backs.

Carole was so kind and offered to monogram the towels. They turned out so cute.

At the shower, she kept opening real kitchen stuff, cooking items, pans, dishes, etc. I'm sure I looked confused. I guess I only checked one of the three places they were registered. I didn't even think of that. Thank goodness she got a lot of kitchen items. I don't have to worry so much anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must have made a trip to the fabric store to match the colors in that towel. It makes a nice gift.