Tuesday, August 24, 2010

canning pasta sauce

It's canning week at a Latte' with Ott, A. I'm playing along. Here' my next canning adventure. Pasta sauce.


The results: The kids turned their noses up at it, I liked it, Hubby smiled and said he was indifferent. He's smart. 11 years of marriage have taught the boy a little something.


Here's the recipe I used, sort of:

tomatoes- lots (I peeled some, other not), chopped green peppers, chopped onions, chopped garlic, 1 chopped zucchini, 1 chopped celery, just a few small chopped carrot, 4 basil leaves, 2 bay leaves, little bit of salt, splash of olive oil.

Pretty exact, huh? I cooked the contents until everything was nice and tender and the mix had thickened up some. It cooked on the stove for at least an hour with the lid ajar.

Now, I've made three batches. Each one was a little different. I just started mixing things up and tasted as I went. I had trouble deciding how long to process the sauce. I read that I could use a hot water bath, but I added so many other veges that I really thought I should use the pressure canner. I processed pints at 10 pounds for 45 minutes.

I am eager to hear other peoples pasta sauce canning recipes. I wouldn't mind one more batch this year.

1 comment:

Ott, A. said...

I think it looks delish! It's so handy to have on hand for a quick meal. I enjoy eating it through the winter on all my italian dishes like stuffed shells, cavatini, etc. Thanks for joining in on our party!