Monday, February 28, 2011

the chunky hat

I've been enjoying the quick project of the crocheted cloche hat (also here).  I told Bee she could pick out whatever yarn she wanted for hers.  I didn't think too much about it when she chose a chunky yarn.  I followed the same pattern from Aesthetic Nest but ended up with this HUGE hat.  Oh, that sneaky chunky yarn.


I worked it, tested out the size, pulled out rows and rows and reworked it.  Five times.


I finally got it. 



Here are the changes I had to make to this pattern so I could use the chunky yarn. I started with the size 18-24 month hat pattern (for my 5 year old).  

I followed the pattern until row 8.  
For row 8:  1 hdc in each stitch.  (49 stitches)
row 9-11 repeat 8
12:   decrease to (44 stitches) using the directions in the written pattern's row 15.
13: follow directions from written patterns row 16 for stitching the eyelets.
14:  follow directions for shell edging in written pattern. 

For the flower, I used the smallest flower that she has on the pattern.  It's pretty huge, but Bee's ok with that. 

I'm linking up to some of these fine parties.  If any party people can tell me how to make a linky thing that I post with all the buttons on my post, I'd love to know. 

4 comments:

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

I love this! I will be linking up at my Show & Share party tomorrow. Be sure to stop by and grab a featured button! ;)

Wendy said...

I have done something similar - I wanted to make a hat from chunky yarn to match a scarf I'd knitted. So I adjusted the pattern down. The hat came out so tiny it only just fit my 2 year old goddaughter!!

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

this is so cute!!! she looks adorable in it. Here’s another party if you would like to link up… http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/03/project-party-weekend-5-ways-to-re.html

Beth said...

Welcome to Fibers on Friday! Good to see you! That hat is precious and way to go modifying it for the chunky yarn!