Saturday, May 21, 2011

handwriting font

I often get asked what fonts I use for kid's projects.  When I want little ones to read it, I make sure I use the fonts where they can plainly recognize all the letters.  It's pretty confusing when they see
g  a    and    g  a

and they look different.   To me, it would be like showing them cursive when a little person is just learning letters. Clearly, at some point, they should be shown these, but that can come after there is a good foundation.

Here are some free fonts online that I like.

This site has a great handwriting practice font and even has the lines!  It's the file called penmanship zip.  It looks like this:
Aa`    
I also use a free font from dafont.com called print clearly.  It looks like this:

Aa Bb Cc  Aa Bb Cc
Back when I taught 2nd and 3rd we used D'Nealian.  I actually prefer it, but here we use zaner bloser.  I suppose it doesn't matter much in the long run.  When in Rome I guess.   

1 comment:

Vasu said...

thats true....simple letters are easy to identify

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Rosabellebyvasu