Sunday, January 13, 2013

The magazine page that's mine- mostly anyway

 

I can finally share the full info about the exciting published thing I hinted at a week or so ago. Some readers guessed I had an idea published in a book, they were thinking really grand. This is equally exciting since I am such a fan of Family Fun magazine.  


 
If you've been around here for awhile, you've heard me talk about how I've been getting that magazine since I was in the dorms in college (much to the amusement of my roommates) you also may remember this snowman shirt we made a few years back.


Someone from Family Fun contacted me back in November and asked about publishing the idea. There was a contract and everything. So, here's the shirt idea now published in print.  I was told they were reshooting all the photos.  Their model is cute, but I much prefer my own. 

 I first wrote about this shirt in January of 2010 and then wrote up a full tutorial from my blog posted February 2010.



Overall, working with Family Fun was a really positive experience.  It was exciting to correspond with editors and get an advanced copy of the magazine (the extra spending cash at Christmas was a pus too).  I was under the impression there would be a mention of my blog, the original source of the tutorial, but if you look closely, in the crease, there's my name.  No worry, I had a reader comment this morning that they saw the family fun page and found me through a google search.  Cool.



I mentioned in my original post that a dear friend sent us the first shirt and explained how to make it.  I sent her a surprise check in the mail with her half of the sale.  She was pleasantly surprised.  Back to the cutest snowman shirt models.


Man, how they change in three years!  Excuse me while I get a tissue.






click here for my full tutorial. 

4 comments:

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

Congratulations on your idea being featured in a magazine!!! I would LOVE something like that to happen to me, I'd be so excited!!!

Love these cute snowman jumpers!!! so cute!!!

Natasha @ www.serenityyou.com

Sandy said...

That is so awesome, Beth, Congratulations!!

Lindsey said...

Very fun! I hope to be published in a magazine someday too, and it's so cool that they contacted you!!

JoAnna said...

That is so cool. I can't imagine why no magazines contact me to find out Howe they too can make the Christmas craftastrophe that I made or ask me to model some fine lawn mowing outfits.